Monday, January 30, 2017

Martin Luther King Quote Reflections, 1/20/17

I continue my reflection of MLK quotes in context of today’s political environment.
"I oppose the war in Vietnam because I love America. I speak out against it not in anger but with anxiety and sorrow in my heart, and above all with a passionate desire to see our beloved country stand as a moral example of the world."
Martin Luther King, Jr. Anti-War Conference, Los Angeles, California, February 26, 1967.
This quote is remarkably versatile. A fill in the blank kinda quote: “I oppose ________ because I love America…” I’ll put it out there - “I oppose a Donald Trump presidency because I love America. I speak out against it not in anger but with anxiety and sorrow in my heart, and above all with a passionate desire to see our beloved country stand as a moral example of the world."
The most important part of the quote is not the “fill in the blank”. The important part is “because I love America.” This is not about me. Quite frankly, I’ll be okay over the next four years. I’ll be sad, but I’ll be okay. Unfortunately, so many people do not read or listen beyond the first fragment of the first sentence. I want to be very clear - I love America.
I will be attending the Women’s March on Washington tomorrow, where I will speak out with anxiety and sorrow in my heart, and above all with a passionate desire to see our beloved country stand as a moral example of the world.
I have heard many Trump supporters suggest that we need to give Trump a chance to show what he will do now that he is the president. That’s a fair point. However - and this is a big however - I have a hard time opening my mind and heart for a man who calls me his enemy for no other reason except that I voted for his opponent in the presidential race. Basically, Trump and his supporters are asking me to be the bigger and better person. Think about it.
I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. In fact, if everyone agreed, there would be no reason for a march. It is my hope, however, that everyone will respect my need to march. One of the reason I love America is that I can march in opposition of my president. The right of free speech is a foundation of our government - and I do not take this right lightly. My decision to march is not reactionary - I have thought it through and I believe that I need to be part of the voice. My voice alone is a whisper. My voice joined with others is a roar.
In all my years of voting, I have never felt this passionate about the outcome of a political race. In fact, I have never participated in a protest of any kind. During his inaugural speech, Trump declared that “January 20th, 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again.” As president, Trump is to some degree the conduit of the “people”. In order to be the conduit, he would need to listen to the roar and the whispers of the people. Unfortunately, I have little hope that the Women’s March will influence Donald Trump, except perhaps to make me more of an enemy.
I do hope, however, that those who support Donald Trump, both voters and lawmakers, will be not be threatened by the collective voice of the March. My hope is that they will be inspired by the grand and passionate showing. I am hopeful.

No comments: