Monday, January 30, 2017

Martin Luther King Quote Reflection 12/10/16

Last night, Kim and I, along with a couple of friends set out on a bike riding city adventure. Often, when we do these rides, we spend time on the National Mall circling the monuments. There is something special about seeing these national treasures late at night, when the air is still and solitude is achievable in an ordinarily bustling corner of the city. The chilly air amplified the quiet and gave me an amazing opportunity to really take in and reflect upon the quotations engraved on the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial.
I have been struggling since the election. Who do I want to be in this new social, political and economic environment? I have always been the voice of moderation - challenging others to see a situation from a perspective different than their own. It is my belief that while we won’t always agree with others, we should strive to understand how they think and feel and importantly, why. Equally as important, we need to express ourselves in a way to help others understand our own positions. But after this election, I have vacillated between angry and sad. I have been unable to be a moderator, a position normally so comfortable for me.
To enter the MLK monument, visitors must pass through the “Mountain of Despair” on their way to the “Stone of Hope” - a tribute to King's "I Have A Dream" speech. As I read the quotations etched on the memorial - which are as relevant today as they were 40 years ago - my path to understanding and my journey of expression became clearer.
My plan is to periodically share a quotation and provide my thoughts as a means of personal expression. Unfortunately, I seem to exist in what many are calling the “liberal bubble” - but I welcome thoughts from outside my bubble as long, as they are respectful and expressed in a thoughtful way to help me better understand the point of view. The goal is not to convert anyone - but rather to promote mutual understanding.
The first quotation along the South Wall:
"We shall overcome because the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
Washington National Cathedral, March 31, 1968.
I recently wrote a letter to Brendan and in it I expressed how important I think it is for political leaders to be in front of the social curve. A great leader sees the pathway to future justice, despite the walls that are built with the purpose of blocking the path. This pathway exists on “the arc of the moral universe”. It seems at times the path along this arc is a two way street. The path forward towards justice is not only long, but at times, can be rugged. For some, it seems the only way to go is back. Perhaps the path forward is too hard. Too long. Or seemingly unnavigable. And if you are personally wounded along this path, logic may dictate that you go back to what you know instead of moving forward where your destiny is unclear. But a great leader needs to have vision for those who have circumstances that prevent them from seeing the path forward. A great leader listens and understand the struggles people have along the path so that adjustments can be made and when possible, a map can be drawn, A great leader will not only extend a hand to help others get through the rough patches - a great leader will inspire others to do the same.
Today - the path seems longer and and more rugged than it has in decades. Today - we need a great leader.

No comments: